This weekend is Green Calgary's Introduction to Natural Dyeing workshop! Our Senior Manager of People and Paper, Christie, is also an instructor at Olds College teaching Fibre Spinning, so she agreed to teach people to dye fabrics the natural way! It's a very interesting workshop that combines chemistry, artistry, and fun! We asked her to tell us about her interest in natural dyeing: "One of my favourite things about dyeing with nature dyes is being able get more use out of something that would otherwise be waste. Avocado pits and skins are usually destined for the compost bin, but on their way they can infuse dish towels with peach tones. Onion skins are likewise headed to the compost, but can brighten up a pair of socks with lovely golden hues. I have to soak my black beans before cooking them, so I might as well get purples, blues, or even greens from them first, and I can still use the beans for my Meatless Monday! I love that I can revitalize old textiles;...
Comments
Post a Comment